Get to know the artist
Florence, is of half french-canadian and half french descent. Raised by parents for whom being herself and following her passions in life was very important, she quickly discovered her love for the performing art scene. She began to take Gregorian chant lessons and she studied dramatic art in college. A short time later, she discovered Middle-Eastern dance with Denise Enan.
After one year of training, Denise and Ahmed Enan asked her to dance in their folkloric dance company. It was at that moment that she realised how much she loved dancing and wanted to make a career out of it.
She decided to pursue a second college degree in dance (contemporary and ballet) at College Montmorency, in Laval. Her studies completed, she took latin, ballroom, and flamenco classes as a way to join the dancing community.
2010 and 2011 are very significant years for Florence as she began to teach Middle-Eastern dance, she danced for the Oriental Ballet of Canada, she started participating in national and international competitions, and she attended workshops with some of the most well-known teachers of the Middle-Eastern dance community: Aida Nour, Khaled Mahmoud, Raqia Hassan, Soraya Zaed, Khadija Jabiry, Aziza, Yamil Annum, Yousry Sharif, Nourhan Sharif, and Valerick Molinary, to name only the most inspiring ones.
In April of 2014, Florence had the opportunity to perform as a member of the Arabesque Dance Company in their production of Sawah, in Toronto. She has been part of the Ya Eshta collective for 4 years and won severals internationnal competitions between 2011 and 2014.
Oriental Dance Competitions
- 1st place: Rakstar 2014, Miami, Florida. Click here to see the performance.
- 2nd place: Amani Oriental Festival 2014, Sevilla, Spain. Click here to see the performance.
- 2nd place: Miami Bellydance Convention 2013, Miami, Florida. Click here to see the performance.
- 3rd place: Queen of the Nile 2012, Montreal, Canada
- 2nd place: Association Québécoise de la Danse Orientale 2012, Quebec City, Canada
- 1st place: Association Québécoise de la Danse Orientale 2011, Montreal, Canada
Choreographer for several projects and companies
- Grace and Beauty Ensemble, 2016-present
- Al Sahirat/Al Helem, 2016-2018
- Mesk el Leïl: Amateur middle-eastern dance group, 2014-2016
- Ya Eshta: Professional middle-eastern dance company, 2014-2017
- Théâtre Génération: Amateur musical theater group, 2013
- Troupe Fantasia: Amateur musical theater group, 2012
- Oriental Ballet of Canada: Amateur and semi-professional groups, 2012
Florence is now one of the most sought after choreographers and teachers in the oriental dance community in the province of Quebec and an internationnal teacher and choreographer. She is also the founder and principal choreographer of Grace and Beauty Ensemble.
International Oriental Dance Artist
Florence Leclerc is a International Oriental Dance Artist.